Bone Tomahawk ★★★★½

After watching Brawl in Cell Block 99 earlier today, I decided to watch S. Craig Zahler’s previous and first feature film Bone Tomahawk. Needless to say I was not disappointed.

The story focuses on a small town that gets raided by a pack of cannibals who take some of the townspeople back to their cave. It then follows the town Sheriff (Kurt Russell) a doctor (Patrick Wilson) a “backup” deputy (Richard Jenkins) and a gunslinger as they attempt to get back the people of their town.

The first thing I noticed about this film is how well shot it was, the cinematography was breathtaking. Some of the landscape shots were beautiful, it really contrasted some of the more horrific imagery that would take place later in the film. Another commendable aspect is the writing, every line of dialogue brought forth something new for the characters and really made them all to be very well developed by the end of the film.

There was also a moment in the film where I had to pause and take a breather for five minutes or so. I was not expecting anything like what occurred and it left me in shock, that’s a good thing though.

All in all, this film is a great example of how two fairly different genres can be molded together for something adventurous and terrifying.