Lilo & Stitch

Lilo & Stitch ★★★★★

I think I'm going to do some research, rewatch and then write about this film tomorrow , but for now, this is what I have to say. I think this is probably my favorite Disney movie, for a couple of reasons. First of all, it is one of the few Disney movies with characters of color, as well as having some of the best representation for women. It takes place in the modern era, so it isn't some distant story, but rather something with an actual place. It also is a movie that allows for genuine expression of sadness and grief, not just some melodramatic idea of sadness, but genuine emotion. It also explores the theme of family, but in a way that feels much more real than some other movies. Family isn't just a biological structure consisting of two heterosexual parents and some number of children, there are so many different formations of family, and the use of fictive kin in this film makes it just that much more powerful. Like I said, this is probably my favorite Disney movie, and in my opinion the best Disney movie thematically.