Crimes and Misdemeanors

Crimes and Misdemeanors

I am not a fan of Woody Allen. His movies are all right--pretty funny sometimes. The controversies that dog him are troubling, but they're not why I don't like him--I'm not exactly reserving judgment on those, but I separate art from personal life as a general rule. No, I don't like him because of his public persona. Like Tarantino, he just seems smug. Not charming smug, like George Clooney, but creepy smug. I can't watch his films without seeing that underlying the woeful neurotics he plays. So it's not really fair of me to say whether his films are good or bad. They've lost before they've begun.

But I'll say this much: if I could judge a film based solely on its supporting cast list, this might get 5 stars. Anjelica Huston, Jerry Orbach, Sam Waterson (a little Law and Order foreshadowing there), Alan Alda, and Mia Farrow (of course) always tend to make me a touch happier as I see them on screen. Alda is actually especially great as a foil for Allen, and the payoff with the screening of the film is really funny despite my misgivings.

Sally Jane liked this review