Sound of Metal

Sound of Metal ★★★★

“That stillness. That place. That is the Kingdom of God.”

2020 Ranked

The Sound of Metal is another entry in the list of authentic and human films to be released this year. This was so brutal and is executed very well for the most part other than the pacing. But for the most part I enjoyed lots of aspects of this film. Most notably; the dialogue, Riz Ahmed’s performance, and the some of the best audio mixing I’ve heard all year. I hope this gets the love it deserves and I’m glad this passion project has found a home on Amazon Prime. Everything feels very authentic and respectful of the deaf community as well as the human experience. I’m happy this also was incorporated genuinely and not used as a gimmick to get woke points.

However, despite the fact that I loved a lot of this; I don’t feel the long runtime was justified. I was never bored but I definitely felt the length of the film. I thought the ending was a great ending but there could have easily been 15-20 mins trimmed and that would’ve landed this film higher in my top 10. I do definitely see myself giving this project a rewatch. Also this was the first time I saw Riz Ahmed in a film and I can’t wait to see what else he is in.

Favorite Scene: Ruben leaving Joe