The Forever Purge

The Forever Purge ★½

“That’s a cowboy.”

Now I have a soft spot for the purge series. The first one was just a home invasion with some interesting ideas. Anarchy was really when the series actually explored the idea of what the purge was and election year expanded it even further. And the first purge was an interesting look at its roots and had some nice action and cool ideas. But this on the other hand is a lazy, preachy, mess of a film.

The forever purge has nothing new to add to the series. It feels so bland and predictable with its messages. And I’m not saying the other movies weren’t preachy or had original ways to go for it’s messages. But here it’s just bad. You know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are, they’re the characters you expect they are.

I can at least say that the best part of the film was it’s composer. They got the duo who did Doctor sleep, the haunting series, and other Mike Flanagan productions. The score really helps the movies a lot for its calm and action scenes.

The forever purge has no new ideas or concepts. But you will have a fun time. So yeah, please stop making these movies.

(Also I was expecting Bon Jovi’s Wanted dead or alive to be played in this movie. Missed opportunity.)

2021 Ranked