Cosmopolis

Cosmopolis ★★★½

Eric Packer finds a system in which he can thrive, and is lost outside of it. Total mental breakdown when failure hits. He’s got it so bad that he thinks his better half is Paul Giamatti, haphazardly waving Snake Plissken’s gun at the back of Eric’s head. Well that’s one way to do it, buddy.

Just realizing this ends a lot like McCarthy’s Blood Meridian.

A rich text. A stretch to sit through. Episodic nature really helps though to keep the eyes interested. Not that its images are boring in any way, but there is a journey aspect promised. Are we going someplace? It’s just, as one drop-in passenger comments during gridlock (paraphrasing), “We’re not moving, I just assumed that we were.” Plenty of meta-commentary to go around. “Money has lost its narrative quality.” Cronenberg (and maybe DeLillo, I don’t know, haven’t read the book) are on a mission to destroy people like Pattinson’s Packer, who won’t listen to his own psyche when he recounts staring at his 31milliondollar broken down fighter jet. You’ll be rooting for the yuan in no time. He gets a chance at redemption—and I think he takes it!

We think so. Binoche unbelievable here, Samantha Morton having fun as vicious, empty Chief of Theory. I guess this does turn around to deconstruct itself. This person that has no soul does have a soul—it’s just ignored. All the protections he affords himself should really be given to the people to fend off people like him.

John liked these reviews