Blade Runner

Blade Runner ★★★★★

There isn't much to say about Blade Runner that hasn't been said by far more eloquent people. Blade Runner is the gold standard for sci-fi thrillers.

Blade Runner's claim to fame is that it is one of the first examples of cyberpunk in cinema. It just so happens that cyberpunk is my favorite genre of sci-fi. The Wikipedia article defines cyberpunk as "a subgenre of science fiction in a dystopian futuristic setting that tends to focus on a "combination of lowlife and high tech", featuring futuristic technological and scientific achievements, such as artificial intelligence and cybernetics, juxtaposed with societal collapse, dystopia or decay." I feel like this reality is a very logical outcome of today's society.

It is funny, Blade Runner is one of the original pieces of cyberpunk in cinema, but it is the one that did it best. The set design, the special effects, the story, the direction, the acting, everything about this movie is pretty much perfect. This movie is truly Ridley Scott's greatest achievement, and that is saying something because Scott gave us the Alien franchise and Gladiator.

While I could talk about everything about Blade Runner does right, I would like to talk about one scene in particular. The "Tears in Rain" monologue is one of the most powerful scenes in cinema history. I love everything about this film. It is worthy of the #54 spot on Sight and Sound's Top 100 list and is a must watch for all.

Source - Plex