Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive ★★★★★

I first saw Mulholland Drive early last year after seeing that It had topped the BBC's list of the 21st Century's best films. Not knowing anything about the film or about David Lynch, I of course ordered it on Amazon then and there as I had to see what all the fuss was about. And what I got whilst watching It at home was a deeply hypnotic, spectacular vision from a mind like no other.

That being said I feel I will never fully understand Mulholland Drive, and maybe I'm not supposed to. But ever since watching It for that first time I've since become entranced by David Lynch's vision and the rest of his films (bar Dune of course) have all resonated with me in similar ways. From what I do understand in Mulholland Drive, I'm able to love it limitlessly. I have the utmost admiration for Lynch's dark and mystifying idea of the worst imagination of Hollywood.

I won't get into too much detail for the sake of keeping this review (If you could call it that) spoiler free but due to It's impossible influence on me as well as It's influence on my taste in film and It's general grand status due to It's impact and It's flawless performances from the likes of Naomi Watts and Laura Elena Harring, Mulholland Drive still stands as my personal favourite film of all time.

If you have yet to see It, I'd highly recommend It to everyone for It may just change the way you look at film, Hollywood and your general expectation of what cinema should be.

Gavin liked these reviews