Django Unchained

Django Unchained ★★★★½

Road to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Well, I almost made it. I've went through all of Tarantino's filmography, save for Death Proof (which I don't think I will have time to watch) leading up to his 9th film. It's been an interesting experience watching all of his films for the first time, because each film is so drastically different from the rest that you can't help but get different enjoyment with each one.

Django Unchained is no different, and is right up there with Inglorious Basterds as my favourite. I really have never seen much of Foxx, aside from his horrendous performance as Electro in Amazing Spider-Man 2, but he is really good here. Granted, he is the weakest character, because everyone else completely outshines him, but he still holds his own. However, with just two movies, Christoph Waltz has captured my attention completely. I love watching him act; he just oozes this charisma that is undeniable. I hope that we see a Tarantino and Waltz collaboration one more time because he steals the whole movie each time. DiCaprio is also amazing, and is a shame he didn't get nominated for his role here. He is very much like Waltz's character in Inglorious Basterds, as he is able to be both charming and menacing at once.

It's also really funny, and a lot of that has to do with the chemistry betwen Waltz and Foxx. But I don't think anything was as stupidly ridiculous as the KKK-wannabe's complaining about the holes in the mask; it was so unexpectedly hilarious. It's a gorgeous film to look at and Django breezes by, however I do feel like after the shootout, it does drag a bit and feel like it was unnecessarily stretched for time. The whole scene with Tarantino didn't work for me, and it took away from what was a pretty well paced film. The end result is SUPER satisfying though, so it is worth sticking through that 15 minute lull.

I'm excited to see Once Upon a Time. While I liked a lot of Tarantino's films, I really only loved two. Hopefully I can feel the same thing about his newest!

Rating: 90%.