Avengers: Endgame

Avengers: Endgame ★★★★½

2019 Releases Ranked-HERE
MCU Ranked-HERE

Avengers: Endgame is the 2019 follow up film from Infinity War and is again directed by Anthony and Joe Russo and stars an incredible cast which included the likes of Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Don Cheadle, Paul Rudd, Brie Larson, Karen Gillan, Danai Gurira, Benedict Wong, Jon Favreau, Bradley Cooper, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Josh Brolin. On a budget of $356 million, Endgame grossed $2.798 billion worldwide and quickly became the highest grossing film of all time, it also holds a certified fresh score of 94% on Rotten Tomatoes.

So yesterday I reviewed Avengers: Infinity War whilst at work, so today it seemed only right to review Avengers: Endgame. There’s only one word for this film, Avengers: Endgame is the definition of Epic. The final hour holds some of the best sequences to have ever graced the screen. Every time I’m at work I’ll try and put out a marvel review for you all like I’ve done with Homecoming, Far From Home and Infinity War recently.

Like Infinity War, Endgames cast is huge however it focuses more on the main 6 and that’s what I love about it. After the events of Civil War, this is the first time we’ve seen the original 6 all on screen since and it’s the last time we will see them and whilst that’s sad, Endgame fully utilised every character in a uniquely incredible way.

The reason this isn’t a 5star film is because I’ve never been the biggest fan of the first half of the film. The “Professor Hulk” diner scene is just plain cringy and doesn’t work at all for me, and sadly whilst I do think that “Fat Thor” is a good way to represent depression, I don’t like it at all and I really hope he changes in Thor: Love and Thunder. The other scenes in the first half do work well enough overall but they can be slightly boring at the same time. However, the more I’ve watched the film, the more I’ve grown to like the first half of the film. In no way does it compare to the second half masterpiece but it does slightly get better.

Now, despite my quarrels with this film, Ronin is a fantastic addition. I’ve always liked Hawkeye more than most people and Jeremy Renner is an incredible actor so seeing him as Ronin was one of the highlights of this movie and I hope to see more of him in the future. Like my Infinity War review I could go on and on about every cast member as they all do a great job but as I’m at work and on limited time I’ll just say that I can’t wait to see what happens with these marvel characters in the future. Of course with this film you have to talk about the conclusion, unlike Infinity War, Thanos takes the backseat and our hero’s are the front burner once again. The conclusion is the definition of epic. From the portal opening scene to Captain America wielding Mjölnir, every scene in the last hour feels iconic and all held so much emotions for me. The deaths all worked for me and all had the emotional values that were needed, they all worked for me and watching that final 20 minutes is the definition of an emotional rollercoaster.

I was 6 years old when Iron Man came out and 16 when Endgame finished his storyline, the franchise means so much to me and whilst I know it isn’t the best cinema and I know people find it stupid, that still doesn’t mean I doesn’t love watching every storyline, every character and every moment that unfolds and I can’t wait to see what happens in the future. Endgame was a fitting way to end Tony Starks journey and that’s what this film does best. Scarlett deserves more but RDJ was the real king and his send of was incredible to watch.

I could go blabbing on for ages about how the final hour is a masterpiece and how this franchise means a lot to me, but for now I’ll leave it be, this films very decisive but I love it nevertheless, not everything works well but when it does it certainly packs a punch. Avengers: Endgame is easily the Marvel Cinematic Universes most ambitious, emotional and effecting film to date. They managed to tie up over a decades worth of storylines in an incredible way and leave it with one of the best climaxes in cinematic history. I saw this at its premiere along with Infinity War as a double feature (and then 5 more times in the cinema) and whilst I do like Infinity War more, Endgame proves to be one of the best, most ambitious and most emotional films in the MCU. I can’t wait to see what comes next.

What Phase 4 Film are you most excited for and why?

4.5/5