Justice League

Justice League

2017's Justice League is an utter disaster, and one of few films I'm happy I never saw at the cinema. The controversy that surrounded it, Zack Snyder being replaced with Joss Whedon due to a family loss is shameful. Couldn't they have waited just a tiny bit longer and allowed for him to grieve after his daughters death? No, instead they tried pushing him to complete it and this disaster proves they should have. In the years since its release, even more, controversy has come forth, forever staining this version of the film, and leaving fans all the more pleased that Snyder will finally get to see out the film he wanted.

The film itself is a mess. The additions of Ezra Miller's The Flash (Grant Gustin will always be better!), Jason Momoa's Aquaman and Ray Fisher's Cyborg are great, but the film leaps over a number of DC movies, leaving them severely underdeveloped due to this being their first appearance in the franchise. Yet it's the scenes with Superman that are arguably the worst in the franchise. As much as I love Henry Cavill's Superman and Ben Affleck's Batman, the scenes between them in this are horrendous. Whedon's sarcastic and dopey writing may have worked wonders for The Avengers, but with the preexisting dark aesthetic DCEU, it doesn't work at all, with the combination of Snyder's very morbid pastiche style and Whedon's sarcastic, humour-filled one being atrocious.

"I miss the days when one's biggest concerns were exploding wind-up penguins."

For all its problems at least "Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice" was tonally consistent, staying dark and brooding for its entirety. Due to the director change the film's far too inconsistent with the reshoots being blatantly obvious, the CGI (especially that god awful moustache scene *hell no*) and the humour sticking out like a sore thumb. The murky aesthetic, thin characters and chaotic action continues to dog the franchise and while the idea of Justice League on paper may sound good, the rushed feeling, awful villain in Steppenwolf and poorly paced story leaves the film as nothing more than an abundant mess that no one could have saved.

Justice League isn’t a good movie, neither Snyder nor Whedon could have saved this project. The studio mandated 2-hour runtime rushed way too many plot points and thus the characters and story were underdeveloped. It’s disappointing, weak, and messy. One of the world comic book adaptations we’ve ever had.

Note: I’ve just finished Zack Snyder’s Justice League and compared to this it’s a masterpiece. I’m quite frankly shocked! Review coming tomorrow!

George liked these reviews