The Matrix Resurrections

The Matrix Resurrections ★★★

It was inevitable that after the magnificent trailer that The Matrix: Resurrection was always going to disappoint. The trailers beautiful and the song playing over it “White Rabbit” truly gives it a standout quality. Yet if I’m honest, I never felt the need to rush of my feet and watch this, The Matrix is a classic, a phenomenon that can’t be understated, it’s cultural impact is on par with Star Wars and other classics, but having finally watched Reloaded and Revolutions yesterday it just cemented what everyone else was saying, the franchise goes downhill fast and thus I was dreading this going in.

Yet with The Matrix: Resurrection it doesn’t go downhill, actually it surprised me more than I thought. I actively hated this film with a passion for the first half, making the Matrix a trilogy of games seemed like a stupid idea and the way it began made me question why I even bothered coming. But as it continued the story started to improve and I found myself, by the third act, actually enjoying myself. Honestly I'm still processing this movie. As it stands now, it's pretty good. Not great, but it has some great ideas within. While the second and third instalment disappointed me, seeing Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss return as Neo and Trinity was great and the way they incorporated Jessica Henwick (who’s honestly the standout) and Neil Patrick Harris into the story worked surprisingly well. However what surprised me most was just how good Jonathan Groff is as Agent Smith, although Hugo Weaving still reigns supreme, while he doesn’t get much to do, his cool, calm composure onscreen really stood out to me and in addition to him, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Morpheus, is fantastic, with the story surrounding why he’s different working extremely well for me.

Don’t get me wrong, The Matrix: Resurrections still holds it’s fair share of problems, rehashing the original a great deal and holding various story points (the gamer one most of all) I hated. However, it surprisingly managed to hold my interest in its latter stages well. Providing exhilarating action sequences I rather enjoyed. It's difficult to get too excited about it given I’m not the biggest Matrix fan but it still stands as a movie that surprised me a lot given my complete lack of interest in it. It’s got it’s problems and it’s far from a great movie, but it’s not as bad as I feared and for that, The Matrix: Resurrection stands as the best since the original but still one I’m in no rush to revisit.
2021 Releases Ranked