Before Midnight

Before Midnight ★★★★

Right now in my 20s, I think that Before Sunset is one of the perfect movies. You want to talk like you know everything in the world. You can wander around and just talk like you don't have any care in the world. You have not had that harsh bite from reality yet, or if you have reality will just bite harder. I have yet to connect to Before Sunrise but I am looking forward to that day coming. And then Before Midnight came out. I was never expecting this film but I went to it like an old friend. Richard Linklater is a genius.

For those of you who have not seen the other two films in this trilogy, the Before Trilogy, stop reading this review right now and go and watch them. Seriously they are that good.

For those of you who are still here I will try to be brief about the film, no one wants any moment of this film spoiled so I will do my best to be brief. The film stars Ethan Hawke as Jesse and Julie Delpy as Celine, who are together now and have started a family. You know what happens next those fantastic talking and walking scenes. It's like watching your life up on the screen. Those emotions, those words, those people. We are all a little of Jesse and a little of Celine.

To say that this film is fantastic doesn't do it justice. This film easily makes the Before Trilogy the best movie trilogy that we have seen. It surpasses The Godfather, Star Wars, and The Lord of the Rings; which are all good in their own right. The thing that this film brings to cinema is realism. The film captures what it is like to have children with other people, what fears people have about the future, and the biggest questions of all "Where are we?, What are we doing?" We have all asked ourselves those questions at one point or another. We look across the room at our significant others and think, what are we doing? How can I be better for you? What have I done to wrong you?

This film pushes your emotions to the limit but doesn't do it in a way that will make you cry false. You will go along for the ride even if you tell yourself right at the moment when you get to the climax of the film that this will never happen to me. Stop, take a break. Come back in twenty years and reflect and I would be willing to take a bet that you have a little of Jesse and Celine in you.

Rating: See It