Whiplash ★★★★

It wasn't until my drive home after seeing this movie that I realized I had seen Damien Chazelle's first film, "Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench". I was incredibly happy that I didn't know that fact going into the film cause I was extremely unimpressed with that film, this film however expressed me incredibly much. After hearing the incredible buzz about this film from Sundance I knew that this would must see opening day films for me. And then to add to my excitement the film starts Miles Teller from "The Spectacular Now" and J.K. Simmons from "Juno". Needless to say I was extremely excited for this film.

Sadly the film didn't live up to my very high expectations.

The film was rather predictable at times and while I loved the performances that Teller and Simmons gave, I cannot think of my other grand things about the film. The large amount of insert shots in the film became headache inducing to me and while I think it was rather interesting to see the tuning and warm up of a band actually in a movie I didn't need to see it as many times as they showed. And how could Andrew not realize the true motivations of Fletcher during the third act? Fletcher is a masochist in nature so for anyone to be surprised by anything the character does was clearly not watching the film.

However the highlight of the film is clearly the performances. I would be surprised if Simmons doesn't receive an oscar nomination for best supporting actor for his role in this film. He has only one clear side to his character but he uses so many different emotions and attitudes to achieve his goal. Teller brings his A game to Andrew but I never found myself rooting for him. I would have rooted for anyone against Fletcher so I can't say that Teller made me have more empathy for the character.

Also why is it always the trombone player who is out of tune?

Rating: See It