The Battered Bastards of Baseball

The Battered Bastards of Baseball ★★★★

"Yes! But, you can't just say it, man. You've gotta feel it in your blood and guts! If you wanna rock, you gotta break the rules"

The Battered Bastards of Baseball is a warm documentary about Kurt Russell's Dad. Seriously.

If you never knew about Bing Russell and what he did for baseball throughout the 70's, then here is an education.

Being a Brit, Baseball isn't 'my' sport but since a young age i've had a strong affection for it. Through a love of Field of Dreams to A League of their Own and repeated incredible visits to the states in my younger years, I developed a love of American culture and the people. I could never get my head around its football, but baseball has a certain grounded romantic whimsy to it that I found and still find appealing.

I won't spoilt this for those wanting to go in cold like I did, but in essence, it's about the love of the game, it's about rebellion and underdogs, about staying true to yourself and sticking it to the establishment. About a man breaking the rules by doing what is right and for the good of the people.

The documentay isn't powerfully presented, but it's thematically powerful. There is some lovely footage of the games, interesting interviews and a pleasing percussive soundtrack. The whole thing just flows nicely from beginning to end whilst telling a riveting story in the process.

It's on Netflix and well worth your time and if you can name the film the opening quote comes from - you get 10 million points and my eternal respect.

Block or Report