Captain Marvel

Captain Marvel ★★★½

Seen at Cineplex Yonge-Eglinton VIP

Simple, digestible fun. And that's really all I'm asking from the MCU at this point. It's very similar to Black Panther in that the characters are well portrayed and fun to watch on screen, but the story they are carrying is incredibly average. I did enjoy the film's outlook on good and evil, and how things are not as black and white as we want them to be. Most superhero films give us good guys and bad guys and don't expect us to question the morality of either side. It's set in stone. This movie plays around with the shades of grey in-between. I enjoyed that. I thought it was refreshing and it definitely made things more interesting, but it's really the only fresh thing about the story. Besides that, it's pretty basic origin story fare, with a bit of Buzz Lightyear mixed in.

Even so, it's still a lot of fun. Brie Larson is fantastic as always and she's a joy to watch. Sam Jackson finally gets to loosen up as Fury and it's cute. Bendo Mendo is also good which I wasn't expecting. Not cause I don't like Mendo, but because his character seemed like the same old shit. He's a lot more interesting than I expected.

Larson really carries the movie. It's because she's so magnetic that I was invested in Carol's story. This movie is a great introduction to Captain Marvel, but doesn't give us much else to chew on.

The action is meh, the humour is cute, and overall it's a solid MCU movie. Whatever that means to you.

Block or Report