The Empire Strikes Back

The Empire Strikes Back ★★★★★

It's as if they took everything that worked about the first movie and just kicked it up a notch. The characters are more fleshed out, the action sequences are bigger, and the new locations are exciting and atmospheric. On the whole, it's not as fun of a ride as the original, but all in all, it's a better movie.

This is my first time watching the despecialized version of this film, the same case as when I watched the despecialized version of the original yesterday. Honestly there's only a couple changes I even noticed in this one, and I think they're for the better. The most obvious one is the change of the scene with the hologram of The Emperor. In the original, he is a woman with a monkey superimposed over her face. It looks hokey and it doesn't really fit into continuity. In the current edition, this monkey woman has been replaced with Ian McDiarmid (who plays The Emperor in every other film in the series that the character is featured in), which is only logical. I noticed some slight dialogue changes in this scene as well, and I think I like the original dialogue better. The second change I noticed was when R2-D2 gets launched out of the water on Dagobah, in the special edition Luke says "You're lucky you made it out of there alive" or something while in the original he says "You're lucky you don't taste very good." Now, the line is insignificant so it doesn't really matter, but I think the special edition line makes more sense because the original line kind of infers that Luke knows what R2 tastes like... which is weird. And puts disturbing images in my head.

Anyways, I did some research and the rest of the changes really just seem to be minor dialogue things and just cleaning up the film. So I think on the whole, the current edition of The Empire Strikes Back is a slight improvement on the original, but there's barely a difference. And like I said about it's predecessor, it's really cool to see the film people saw in the theatres, and me and many other Star Wars fans would love a remastered version of the original original trilogy on blu-ray.

Jamie liked these reviews