The Predator ★★★½

TIFF ‘18 MOVIE 1

My TIFF adventure this year has begun! This was a lot of fun. It’s really really messy and it’s definitely been hacked up in post, but Black’s characters and sense of fun shines through regardless. The cast is all fantastic and each character is great, although most don’t get fleshed out as much as they should. The story is kind of all over the place and the final act is really overly chaotic and wack, but you’d have to be a cynical motherfucker not to get any enjoyment out of this. It’s bloody and funny and an overall good time. There’s a lot of flaws and some glaringly bad CGI, but I’ll be damned if it didn’t charm the pants off me.

It gets dumber and dumber as it moves forward and eventually you just have to take it at face value that it’s not living up to how awesome it seemed at the beginning, but when you decide to go along with its braindead sensibilities it’s still a good time. I laughed a lot with it and eventually found myself also laughing at it, but what’s important is that I was having fun throughout.

jamie liked this review