The Godfather: Part II

The Godfather: Part II

“My father taught me many things here - he taught me in this room. He taught me: keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.”

With an accomplishment of hitting 2,000 followers I thought I'd celebrate with the biggest number 2 in history*, The Godfather Part 2. I was debating whether or not to rewatch The Godfather before watching this but I remembered all the important parts all ready and was anxious to watch this way more than rewatching the first. Definitely glad I decided to watch this as a reward for 2,000 followers because everything everyone said was spot on.

The Godfather Part 2 shows the Roman Empire like Corleone family showing itself cracking in this sequel. After the passing of Vito Corleone played by the master himself Marlon Brando, Michael Corleone must show that he can live up to his father's momentous legacy and can regain the power that was wearing down in the first film.

As we see Michael struggle with family life and the life of the mafia we get brief flashbacks to Brando's Vito Corleone when he was younger. I love the use of the flashbacks as they parallel with an event Michael is having trouble with in present day. Who could recapture the mystery and intrigue of Brando for younger Vito Corleone? None other than the legend himself, Robert DeNiro. This is DeNiro’s 2nd best performance right after Travis Bickle for me as he captures the essence of Vito through the looks he gives and the presence he owns in every scene. The festival flashback is the best in my opinion mainly with the lighting, camera movements, sound design, and conclusion. A perfect scene in general.

Speaking of performances everyone in this is GREAT! Al Pacino in his finest as each emotion he brings is nailed perfectly, especially his scenes with Diane Keaton who is terrific in this also. Robert Duvall is also great as a supporting role even though I think the best supporting actor in this is Bobby Cazale. Sadly one of the few films he was in he plays Fredo Corleone who is extremely relatable to me. He plays a character who thinks others don’t respect him and he wants to be looked up to like people do with his younger brother Michael. He fucks up, sure but you always understand and know he never does it from a place of hate but a place of wanting to be equal to his way more respected brother. I wish he was with us longer because he easily could have been one of the greats.

Coppola’s direction is great with so many great blocking, like when his sister, Connie and fiance want Michael to approve of their marriage you see the amazing blocking Coppola does. Michael never looks at the fiance and only at Connie. He never fully faces him and when he does he is in between them holding hands, showing how he doesn’t approve of this union. It’s utterly fantastic.

I want to leave off with talking about the iconic final shot. I think it’s easily the most affecting shot in the entire film. We see this broken man, Michael, who only wanted to be a normal man and not be like his father. But legacy broke him and turned him into something worse than his father wanted. He became not only everything he hated but everything his father hated. He has ruined everything in his family life and is almost unrecognizable by the end. A perfect ending for this story...well, so we thought.

I want to thank you all for getting me to this big milestone. I appreciate every like and comment I get from you all and I hope to keep doing this for as long as possible. You are all my drive and without you I wouldn’t be doing this. Thank you and have a great day.

Brendan liked these reviews