Florence Foster Jenkins ★★★½

I find there is an interesting parallelism between this titular character, and the lead actress, Meryl Streep. In a time where the world shook, Florence Foster Jenkins spent her time taking singing lessons, contributing to the American music industry financially and artistically more than probably anyone else. Thanks to her wealth, she chose to spend her days doing this, reminding people how music, how art and feeling, can play an important role in society, in this case by providing an escapade, a moment of beauty.

As an actress, Meryl Streep does something similar. She chooses to spend her days giving voice to people who deserve to be understood, who deserve to be remembered. From Julia Child or Margaret Tatcher to a woman in a passionless marriage or a fashion icon, Streep becomes a different character each time, giving us a glimpse into another person’s life, another perspective. She calls for empathy and understanding each time, reminding us, once again, that art, in this case cinematic performance, can play an important role in society.

This might not be what Florence Foster Jenkins means for anyone else, as it is a funny, contradicting film, that asks its audience to appreciate Jenkin’s efforts while simultaneously making them laugh at her. Despite this, I found Stephen Frears’ picture to be delightfully produced and competently executed, from its production design to the music and especially the casting. It’s not exactly as witty or profound as one could expect from these filmmakers, but Florence Foster Jenkins is certainly a heartwarming, effective little film.

| Direction: 7,0                               | Sound: 7,5