2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

The first time I tried watching this movie, I quit midway through because I felt frustrated and absolutely confused.

2 and a half years later, I decided to give it another go. From all of Kubrick's movies, this is the one I was most apprehensive of watching, mainly because of two things:
- I already knew most of what would happen in the narrative because THE INTERNET.
-I was kind of afraid of simply not getting it.

But I can say with the utmost certainty, I get it. I get why 2001: A Space Odyssey is regarded as an all-time cinematic milestone.

A lot has already been said about this movie. I mean, it has been considered a classic since the 70's. People have raved about it, theorized on it, nitpicked it to shreds, deconstructed its symbolism and messages, hated and loved it. And all of this with good reason! Both plot development and character dialogue are neglected in favor of ambiguous and epic set pieces, further bolstered by immaculate special-effects and a nineteenth century orchestral soundtrack. It features a noticeable lack of human heart and emotion, but every artificial and technological element present has a staggering amount of spirit and energy that just irradiates out of the screen. It is very slowly paced, but every frame is teaming with interesting visual elements. Throughout its 2h20m run time, it will make you feel excited, bored, curious, frustrated, awestruck and confused.

It is the definition of the audiovisual experience and I personally adore it, but I won't judge those who don't. It really is the antithesis of a regular movie experience.

2001 isn't a movie for everyone, but it definitely is a movie everyone should see for themselves. However, I also believe everyone who has seen it and hated it should give it another chance. It just may light some spark inside of you and speak to you in a way it didn't before.

Duarte liked this review