Parasite ★★★★★

“So long.”

that ending. I didn’t expect Parasite to move me as much as it did, but oh gosh it sure did. The entire film pulls you in, leaving you on the edge of your seat wanting more, wondering what’s going to happen next. I’d only planned to watch half the film tonight, and then watch the other half a different night, but I was too invested within minutes of beginning the film. So here I am, at 2:30am, writing this shitty review.

Visually, it’s beautiful. From the shots they used to the transitional techniques, the film’s visual aspect is spotless. The background music helped pace the film and helped raise apprehension, drawing you in more so at the highest tension points. Then there’s the characters... despite seemingly taking advantage of the Park family, I cared about them deeply. I wanted to see this work out for them.

Because really who isn’t a parasite in this storyline? The Kim’s deceive the Park’s and take advantage of their simplicity and trust in order to leech off their wealthy so they can simply survive. However, they still do the work required of them by their jobs that they are being paid for. Whereas there’s the Park’s... a nice family, who leeches off of their own wealth in order to avoid simple tasks such as dishes and driving. Sure they hand out a nice paycheck, but they don’t even truly care for the people working for them. Even the ones like Moon-gwang who had been working for them for years get tossed out the second a rumor is spread.

Moral of the story: rich people will always be rich, and poor people will always be poor; the rich will never understand the poor, and the poor will never feel comfortable within the rich.

Sarah H. liked these reviews