The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger ★★★★★

I'm a sucker for globetrotting adventure, and the bigger (and more polarizing) Gore Verbinski gets the more I tag along. I think Verbinski is a terrific director hidden behind a misconception of corporate hackatism, which is forgivable considering he dances a similar jig to Michael Bay and co: the difference is that Verbinski is epic because he plays every note on the piano, whereas the others jam the easy three cords on the guitar. THE LONE RANGER is a film I can't seem to get out of my mind, and three viewings in I find myself enjoying it even more. It's an interesting experience to embrace a film not just disliked but almost utterly forsaken. But while I thought my admiration was partially due to the story of its creation and failure, now I think my enjoyment is based on just plain digging the film, one with some missed swings but many epic connections. Also it is surprisingly dark and subtle, but most of all its a pure western. I recommend a viewing if you like old-school adventure, even if you just view the amazing train sequences that begin and end the film. For the record I don't find Johnny Depp's portrayal of Tonto as racist, based on how the character is used in the film. I think a fully Native American actor would have been a more sound choice of course but I do find his character arch much deeper than I expected.

Stefan liked this review