Candyman

Candyman ★★★

6/10

It was actually going to get a 7 but then the crappy final act happened and that ending urrgh..

It started off so strong, it had a great atmosphere, stunning shots and a brilliant score. That creepy Candyman song at the start was a nice touch.

The acting was really good but I just didn't feel that much for any of the characters so I didn't really care about any of the events that unfolded.

I really liked the kills but with some of them, I wanted to see more. That's what made the original so scary, it was brutal. This one had the potential to be the same but then it would cut away. Especially during the bathroom scene, I thought that was going to be a lot worse than it actually was.

I enjoyed all of the art stuff too.

*spoilers*

If your hand/arm was doing that, then you would surely go get that checked out sooner..

I felt that it was unnecessary to make a certain character a "bad guy" should have kept him nice and perhaps killed him off? I also felt like the brother or boyfriend should have died or both. 🤷🏼‍♀️ wasted hard hitting potential there.

The last act just became boring, I realised who Anthony was before they told us so I felt that was quite an obvious twist. How bloody young did Vanessa Williams (not that one) look though. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II looked older than her. 🤣

I also felt that for as much as the characters talked about her - A Candyman(woman) that looked like Helen should have at least made an appearance.

Why would the police shoot someone that looked dead already? At least make him look a bit menacing and that's why he got shot. That bugged me.

Not enough of that gorgeous Candyman score. It only appeared in the end credits sadly and not enough Tony Todd, the other person just didn't have his eerie presence.

*spoilers end*

So overall, after a very strong start I became more and more disappointed as it went on sadly. So much potential and it had some really good things about it that could have been elevated rather than left to fizzle out.

I will still NEVER say that in a mirror though.

Gillian liked these reviews