Parasite ★★★★★

"Wow this is so metaphorical."

Parasite is constantly dynamic & rhythmic with its superbly directed tracking shots, editing style and shocking but earned twists and turns. It's a really fun time, too.

All the characters are multilayered. The two families try to survive & all three are pushed to their limits by the end. Successfully making you wish the best for everyone on mildly different levels & be on all three teams. But also, for few minutes, during the key scene, be on none, in any team's entirety at least. Though with moments reflection it's easy to understand Kim's sudden switch in loyalty / surfaced resentment on being expected to prioritize Mr. Park's family over his own, to abandon his dying daughter to save their son, while they don't so much as spare a thought for her, much less offer to take her as well when he hesitates to throw the keys.

As if one life is expendable than the other based on class and status. He didn't necessarily *consciously* make that distinction during that time... but he had to, of course, make sure to condescendingly show his dislike of the smell thing. Not anticipating the kills at all, shaken up & having none of the time to process such a distressing situation, did partly contribute to Mr. Park's focus becoming so narrow? You know what's what, tho: none of the guests mentioned their cars to be of service.

The screenplay is so tight and smart. I like how Bong Joon-ho juxtaposed the impact rain had on families' way of living. It's interesting how the overly green places in the house - garden and basement - act as two different, meaningful sanctuaries (excluding birthday party, but it's to be noted that that's where Mrs. Park chooses to have the cake cut, which was meant to be therapeutic)

Speaking of birthday party, that is one of the most intense sequences I've ever seen, particularly the Ki-woo/basement moment (reminded me of Us, with similar themes of class differences, privilege and lack thereof). Astounding how effortlessly the tone shifts to the nightmarish/horror elements.

RESPECT for Geun-sae's characterisation - him switching on the lights, and sending message of gratitude via morse code had me like 😳🥺😔

Truly worthy of the hype. Parasite is why films exist.

Aakansha liked these reviews