2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★

It's ironic that this might be the most cited and talked about film ever because I find it to be utterly indescribable.

Parts of it still frustrate me (I hate not being able to figure things out) and being fully engaged in this is something that requires work and patience for me but it pays off. Because of aforementioned things 2001 might not feel as captivating to me as it does to you but I still think it's monumental.

Anything I don't love is made up for by the last 20 minutes, which I'll never forget my first time seeing. I was terrified. There's nothing in it that is objectively there to scare but the infinite vastness and knowledge being bestowed upon Dave was overwhelming to watch. I still think the wormhole sequence and space bedroom afterward are downright scary.

I might not love every piece of it but Stanley Kubrick's space opera deserves all the credit it has been given over the years and is, in my mind, one of the most intelligent and detailed films ever made. If anything has ever "reinvented" cinema it's this.

Trudie liked these reviews