The Irishman ★★★★

This to me didn't feel like the spanning career reflection some took it to be, but nonetheless I loved this side of the gangster genre. In the beginning, I started to worry about it stylistically being a bit too been there done that (Scorcese popularised the style but still), but it drops into a much more comfortable and original rhythm soon after.

I at first didn't know how to feel about people like Jimmy Hoffa being portrayed in an empathetic light (I'm one of those young people who "know he went missing or something") but there's obviously a bit more nuance to this than bad guys being bad guys.

Everything from the performances to the cinematography were amazing. I wouldn't be in a rush to watch it again due to the length, but the runtime was made the most out of.

Predictably, the female characters are mostly decorative, but Anna Paquin for me was a scene stealer. Every time she was on screen I felt the themes of the film come through. If we have to talk about a minimal dialogue performance this year, it's this over Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate - not due to any fault of Robbie's, of course.

If you're like me and were resistant to sitting down for a 3 and a half hour movie, believe me when I say it's worth it. I won't lie, you feel the runtime - especially in the first hour - but there's rhyme and reason.