Vox Lux ★★★

Certainly the ballsiest project I've seen of late. Layerings of social commentary substantiate Vox Lux, but simultaneously leave it feeling abstract and, at times, slightly empty.

This "twenty-first century portrait" is so strange in structure I find myself struggling to piece together any sort of opinion or well rounded thoughts on it. Celeste's life is laid bare in front of us but with little insight, while the support around her change abruptly.

There's so much I like - it's impeccably shot for one thing, and edited well - but I feel a distinct lack of completeness. Celeste's arc is underneath so much that I didn't recognise it, and by cause and effect this includes the arcs of her family members.

I don't know guys I'm really struggling to say, like, anything I just can't string together much right now. I think with Vox Lux in general there's a lot of unpacking to do, that I maybe haven't finished doing. For now I'm just content with the wonderful performances, costumes and makeup. It'll stay on my mind for a while. I wish I could better word the nuances of this but there's so much going on that I don't know where to start. I think calling it a commentary on shootings or stardom undermines that it's a lot more complicated than that.

Trudie liked these reviews