The Place Beyond the Pines ★★★★½

Wow. That was fantastic. This was very different from what I expected and was a lot larger than I thought it could be. The performances are what push this from interesting to great and the fantastic cinematography also helps.

The idea of an event spanning across different generations is fantastic. We see both sides of the conflict and can sympathize with both. Ryan Gosling plays a man who just wants to give his son the best future possible, even if it means robbing a few banks. Bradley Cooper plays a rookie cop who eventually crosses paths with Gosling. That's all I'm going to say as the plot was very interesting and took a lot of cool turns.

The cinematography was fantastic. From long takes to beautiful scenery, everything looked great. The action was fast paced and quick-cutted, but everything was shot in a way so I was never lost.

The cast in this was fantastic. Gosling gives a very emotional performance and you can't help but feel for him. Bradley Cooper was good but it took a minute for me to warm up to him. The supporting cast consists of Eva Mendes, Dane DeHaan(sp?), Ben Mendelsohn, and Oscar Winner Mahershala Ali. They all give great performances and help make the movie feel more natural, especially Mendelsohn.

This was a fantastic film that I has everything I could want in a film, heists, branching story, fantastic cinematography, epic scale, and an intimate look into people's lives. If any of that appeals to you I think you'll love the movie like I did.

gorrilaman54 liked this review