Tenet

Tenet ★★½

Honestly, Tenet is so dumb and so misguided that I don't think it's possible for me to break down how fundamentally broken it is.

For starters, it's entirely built around action sequences that are, for the most part, played out in reverse order. What that means is the very flow of action is broken. Instead of action leading into impact, you get reverse impact leading into reverse action. The very thing that brings life and excitement to action, the impact, is completely gone. Also the back and forth which creates the flow in an action scene is almost impossible to follow in an engaging way whilst it's reversed. Ironically, this issue is made all the more apparent by the fantastic opening action scene which has almost zero time fuckery. It's just a solid action sequence that serves to remind you of where the movie is going to fail.

What run time that isn't used by these weightless action scenes is taken up by dense exposition explaining the minutia of their logic. None of the dialogue is interesting in any way. It's all just there to explain the next action scene.

What's even funnier is that, as per usual on a Nolan film, the sound mix is so absolutely terrible that you can't even hear the dialogue at times. But that's not because it's quiet. No. No no no. It's because it's so painfully fucking loud that all you can hear is the blood running out of your ears.

In terms of the cast, there are two in the entire film who could be described as having any form of character. Paper thin, generic characters. But it's better than nothing. I will say though that despite lacking any real character, the insane chemistry between Washington and Pattinson is a highlight. Get those two guys in a romcom together.

In terms of story, it's pretty much the same thing. Paper thin and generic with very little weight to it. I can see others really getting something out of it but I'm not one of those people.

And that's it. That's Tenet. A film that's so obsessed with hiding it's own story that it never got to actually develop it.

Grant liked these reviews