Parasite ★★★★½

Bong Jun Ho’s Parasite was my first foray into Korean Drama (I had only previously watched an extremely limited amount of Korean Horror) and the second of his filmography that I have caught, after Snowpiercer. I had suggested to watch this film to my friends after catching all the Cannes hype online and I can safely say that of all six of us who went to watch the film, not a single one was disappointed.

Parasite felt very contained, in the sense that the majority of the story only took place at one of two places — either home of the two families. I think this really allowed me to focus on the interactions between the characters more carefully and catch more of the subtleties that Bong put into his story.

Something another friend had mentioned that I regrettably did not catch on to was the beautiful and syngergistic blending of the soundtrack with the story and although I did realize this at certain major plot milestones (to great satisfaction), I think it may have been a more fruitful experience had I not been more focused on other aspects of the film.

At its heart, Parasite was a poignant exploration of class struggle and discrimination with ideological themes surrounding chaos and order. It was magnificently acted by the cast and was a surprisingly easy watch despite whatever preconceived notions about what a Palme d’Or winner might feel like.

4.5/5 — Great film.