Star Trek: The Motion Picture ★★★

50% of Star Trek: The Motion Picture’s screenplay: *Stiffly stare off into the distance at some tolerably held-up shots of space while Jerry Goldsmith’s angelic score plays in the background*

Look, I have no formal knowledge of the Star Trek series besides that of the mediocre new trilogy, and I still do plan on watching the entire Star Trek film saga, but, man oh man, was this somewhat of a chore to sit through.

There were plenty of trippy, ecstatic sci-fi thriller moments or quirks that I ADORED in this feature-length like the failed transporter segment, the probe sequence, and even the metaphysical construct of a natural disaster being a singular living entity, but the entire extravaganza feels void of any energy in its sense of plot—it’s exceedingly off-course and mundane.

So far, however, I do fancy how intensely more psychedelic Star Trek appears in comparison to Star Wars; it’s definitely something that’s attracting me to witness more despite me not ultimately favoring this first movie as a collective.

🤷‍♀️ Verdict: C+