Parasite ★★★★★

Parasite is a wildly eccentric and boldly unique triumph of a film. Seamlessly blending drama, comedy, and thriller elements in perfect harmony, Bong Joon-ho's tour-de-force is an ambiguous work of art that I'd be hard-pressed to assign a single overarching genre to. I was entirely glued to the screen from beginning to end, and in all honesty, I'm not sure that two hours has ever felt so short. From the immaculate performances of the cast to the stellar cinematography, a soundtrack that crept in ever so subtly but never felt invasive (no pun intended if you've seen it), and a script that I could only describe as a stroke of pure genius, this film was simply magnificent. Every time I thought I had an idea of where the plot was heading or how the narrative would develop, I was completely caught off-guard and thrown for a loop, only to have my expectations surpassed by a mile. In my opinion, Parasite is the epitome of rollercoaster rides in cinema.

I would love to go on and on about why the film is so great, but due to its twists, turns, and the overall element of surprise, any seemingly minor details I might disclose could drastically dampen the experience; for that reason, I want to avoid spoilers at all costs. Hell, don't even watch the trailer or read any detailed synopses. Just go into it blind. Trust me, you'll be thankful you did.

grey liked these reviews