La La Land

La La Land ★★★★★

Yep. It’s still my favorite movie of all time. I distinctly remember my first time watching this in the theater when I was in 5th grade. And I wasn’t the same person after it.

Before watching this, I kinda enjoyed movies. La La Land opened my eyes to creation, and how there’s more to film than pure entertainment (sorry if that sounds pretentious.)  It made me fascinated by the whole filmmaking process, from screenwriting to casting and cinematography to editing. I started noticing how set design and costumes interact to create visual metaphors.

La La Land
 has sparked my love for artistry as a whole. I now add curly cues to the ends of my “y’s” and “g’s.” I burst into spontaneous song at any given moment. Showers have become musical sessions. I tap my shoes and sloppily spin around whenever I feel like it.

As some of you know, my main hobby is creative writing. This movie rocketed creative writing from an occasional pastime to a lifelong passion. Almost every night I hide under my covers and write stories. I am going to an arts high school next year, to pursue my dream of creative writing.

Thank you La La Land. I would be not be pursuing my dreams without your bright colors, hypnotic score, and insightful direction.

Griffin Stenzel liked these reviews