La Notte ★★★★½

It’s too dark. How can I find her?”

A close, haunting look at isolation from ourselves, our emotions, and the ones we thought we loved.

This is a very, very thematically rich film. In fact, I found some of it to be quite overwhelmingly so (not in a bad way), so many rewatches are in order for a full grasp, but here are some initial thoughts. I have never seen the subject of marriage tackled in such a way. One might expect the typical “I don’t love you anymore!” divorce story, but La Notte is in another realm entirely. In fact, I find that it’s not so much a film strictly about marriage as it is about human connection, or lack thereof.

The complete vapidity of Giovanni and Lidia is quite startling. These are two people who are beyond disillusioned with their marriage. The way their respective feelings towards this affect each other reduces both of them to mere shells of their former selves. The emotions, ideas, thoughts they once had are gone. Any semblance of real communication is replaced by a surface level slab of artifice that they wear whenever they go outside, so that they can keep up the illusion of marriage and love. They are ghosts.

Perhaps one of the most haunting aspects of this film is how universal I’m sure these feelings are with so many people who call themselves “couples”. This film forces us to look at our own connections and see what we can do to confront ourselves and at least recognize what we have become; as a singular person, and in a relationship. And if not, you can end up like Giovanni and Lidia: stuck in the numb emptiness of your broken connections, and doomed to stay that way. (Hopefully not the latter!)

Grooveman02 liked these reviews