South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut ★★★★

Been doing a bit of rewatching of South Park recently, and of course that should include the appropriately-titled Bigger, Longer & Uncut.

To be honest, I always found it funny how it took The Simpsons nearly 20 years to get it's own movie. South Park on the other hand only took 2 years through it's run to get a feature-length adaptation, being released halfway through the show's third season. For the most part, it's larger in scale than any episode that had aired up until it's release.

Rather than just an average day in the town, complete anarchy breaks out over Terrance and Phillip's latest film, a heavy mix of explicit language and fart jokes whose influence quickly spreads to the children of South Park. In response, a group of angry parents led by Kyle's bitch mother Sheila protest and single-handily wage war on Canada for their supposed "corrupting" of America's youth. As Satan and his lover Saddam Hussein plan a hostile takeover of the world upon Terrance and Phillip's planned execution, it's up to Stan, Kyle and Cartman (and Kenny) to put a stop to the war and prevent the apocalypse from happening.

Suffice to say that this is a wonderful mix of memorable musical numbers, hilarious satire and unparalleled vulgarity. I've never been much of a fan of musicals, but every song here just sticks with you, like the opening "Mountain Town" number and the wildly insane "Uncle Fucka". Despite the filth that the boys spew out here, I feel they still have a cute innocence to them, even Cartman who is more or less just a spoiled little fat bastard than the sadistic psychopath he became in later seasons.

All the charm from the show is retained here. I feel the choppy cut-out animation has always been part of the show's charm, and here it's no different. It is noticeably less smooth than recent seasons though, and resembles that of the early seasons more than anything. We also have most of the characters we know and love (or hate) such as Mr. Garrison, Chef (R.I.P) and the widely unlucky Kenny who suffers a rather horrific demise after lighting a fart. Butters for the most part is just a background character however, which is disappointing if you like his later antics.

Despite all the profanity and violence (and being offensive to almost everyone possible) it does retain a good moral message regarding parenting and freedom of speech. Maybe it's a little too big at times if you appreciate the smaller episodic format more, but as a massive fan of the TV show, I do feel this movie does it justice in more ways than one.

If Matt and Trey were to do another South Park movie however, I'd would definitely anticipate it.

8.5/10