Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street ★★★½

Some fantastic music and a macabre story collide in this adaptation of the broadway musical. Given that it's by Stephen Sondheim, no wonder the music is good! It's definitely a Tim Burton movie, almost qualifying as black and white in the visual department. That suits the story though, a barber kills his customers and dumps them into a waiting oven below so that the lady on the ground floor has meat for her pies.

It's so deliciously disgusting that it almost works, but I can't quite suspend my disbelief to think that no one would get suspicious that A) the meat in the pies tastes funny, B) numerous people have gone missing in this specific area lately, and C) the quality of the food has become a hit in the community out of nowhere.

I guess the implication is that this is like a fairytale, and you shouldn't think much of the plot. And that's fine, it's a good musical that you'll be humming the tunes of long after it's over. I just imagine I may have enjoyed the stage version more. Depp is okay in the title role, but isn't a great singer, something the role needed more than a big name. Three and a half stars.

Guyzo997 liked these reviews