Enola Holmes ★★★

When looking to travel incognito, it's safest to travel as a widow. People are always anxious to avoid conversations about death. Widows scare them. And there's no better disguise than fear.

In general, I must say that I expected a lot from this film given the casting and the positive criticism my entourage made of it, I didn’t watched the trailer because I didn't want to have any particular expectations... but I don't know, I'm quite divided because I liked it but I'm left with a feeling of incompleteness, as if each scene ended on an "almost accomplished". I thought I was going to love this film but I'm only half-convinced. I don’t know what I was really expecting but I was expecting something better built perhaps? The story remains a bit meh for me. Afterwards, I didn't read the Nancy Springer novels, so maybe this film perfectly fulfills the expectations of the fans of the novels?

Well, first I'm going to talk about the roles of Sherlock and Mycroft. I love Henry Cavill but unfortunately I find that this role did not suit him, there was something missing in his interpretation of Sherlock Holmes, he had neither the mischievous nor the mysterious air that I like to find in the famous detective. Moreover, he is much too muscular for the role (in my humble opinion). That's why I think the role of Mycroft, the role of the stiff big brother would have suited him better. Also, the fact that he plays Sam Claflin's little brother? Nah.

Speaking of Sam Claflin, I have to say that except in "The Riot Club" I had never seen him in the role of the unsympathetic man (although I must say that it suits him well). I actually think that in this particular case for him the role of Sherlock Holmes (or even Arthur Conan Doyle's Dr. Watson) would have been more convincing. So yes, all this to say that I would have swapped their respective roles.

Finally: Enola Holmes, 'Alone' spelled backwards. What do I think of you? I'm not a big fan of Millie Bobby Brown, not a big fan when a character breaks the 4th wall (only Fleabag is the exception) but I still liked the character and its dynamic. If there is a sequel, I hope to see her more badass, more emancipated and also to see her shine through her sharpness of mind rather than see her save a boy in distress. You see, women don't have time for that anymore.

So, 3 stars because I had a great time watching this movie... and also, let's be honest, because of my thirst over Henry Cavill & Sam Claflin.

gwen 🍷✨ liked these reviews