Fighting with My Family

Fighting with My Family ★★★½

"Don't worry about being the next me, be the first you."

If Vince Vaughn says you're money, you're money, kid.

I've said it before, and I'll continue being the first wingman, Jack Lowden is one big film role away from being a star. I've admired Florence Pugh since I was introduced to her in the not great Malevolent. She's easily going to and already is one of the newest "it girl" starlets and crushes, alongside Anya Taylor-Joy, Olivia Cooke, Haley Lu Richardson, and soon to be Honor Swinton Byrne. The entire cast of this year's first "feel good family movie" is great, and while I'm just as happy with Nick Frost and Lena Headey, it is the aforementioned younger stars that carry the emotional impact and superb sibling chemistry. Even Vince Vaughn's minimal role was money.

I knew I'd cry in this film, and like clockwork, the tissues I had ready, came out. I didn't expect to cry multiple times though. It may just be because I place my family above everything, and that I'm a hot mess when it comes to sibling stories, but this was extremely "feel good". Fighting with My Family is based on the documentary of WWE Diva champion, Britani "Paige" Knight, and her inspiring story of hardwork and success. Stephen Merchant's junior and best directorial entry might not look the prettiest, and it does rely on established tropes and beats, but he shines in being a performance director. The characters fae outweigh the world built, and you honestly don't focus on the cinematography or sound, because you're invested with the Knight family and their true story. I am not a WWE follower, and I have no idea about anything in that realm (aside from Cena and The Rock memes), but I was along for every second of this far too short story!

Fighting with My Family is a strong recommendation on my end, and a very strong family film. With an extremely relatable plot, sympathetic themes, and a lovable cast, the film is sure to be massively liked. It's short, sweet, and I loved it complete. Take your family to see this, and while you're at it, BYOT (bring a box of tissues).

Lee, liked these reviews