The Secret Life of Pets 2

The Secret Life of Pets 2 ★★★

"You never know what life's gonna throw at you. And you have two choices. Run from it...or run at it."

A harmless and unnecessary sequel, but one I found myself really connecting to. The analogies between the pets and the kids they grow up with, alongside the lessons of parenthood to new couples is just enough to lay down some semblance of a narrative. While the Harrison Ford outdoors lone wolf vs domestic house trained pet subplot was welcomed, I could've done without the whole Kevin Hart and Tiffany Haddish subplot, but I'll admit to having a few cheap laughs. The Secret Life of Pets 2 is no Toy Story, but I still found myself crying by the times the real life pet footage credits rolled.

The simple gesture of your loyal companion taking you to school brought back a flood of memories for me. I instantly recalled all the early mornings where my dad or mom and my dog would drop me off at my bus stop, and wait till they couldn't see me waving anymore. Or the wonderful memories I have of Akaila waiting for me to come home from school, then bursting through the door with the eagerness and excitement that seemed like we hadn't seen one another in years. If you've had a dog, you know exactly what I'm talking about. That unfiltered, unbiased, pure love. Our pets see our true selves. I miss her, and even though I know she's still guarding me and my family, I wish I could hug her one last time and feel her cold nose against my cheek.

Lee, liked these reviews