Tenet

Tenet ★★★

some of y’all boutta be real mad at me but it must be said... so lemme spill with an actual review but no actual spoilers!! [j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶v̶a̶g̶u̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶t̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶s̶]

the opening sequence was so strong, the sound and cinematography for it was so powerful, it got me hooked and excited. the first half was really promising and effortlessly entertaining. listen,,, the time reversing thing was done very well. very cool, very on-brand, while actually being quite innovative in its portrayal. multiple realities is kinda my thing in terms of what i enjoy to see on screen, so i am prone to believe that it was incorporated and executed really good here - except one thing that was missing and i haven’t figured out whether it was intentional or not yet but anyways...

i don’t know why but i did not buy robert pattinson’s acting here... it’s like i can hear him saying the stuff he’s supposed to say but there’s no feeling, nothing behind it like... i honestly don’t know what happened but it felt like he memorized all the lines, said them with minimum effort in front of the camera to have it over with and instantly forgot them. glad he looked this fresh tho, love that.

the other thing is the portrayal of women. big fvcking sigh. the way in which elizabeth debicki’s character was written is just so embarrassing... maybe if it was 2013 it would get a pass but we’re in 2020 and y’all still can’t write for women?? her arc just wasn’t big enough for me or rather highlighted enough... i feel like most of her scenes were neither enjoyable nor did they contribute to her overall place and meaning in the story... no fr like what do you want me to say? we’ve been over this so many times already... just very hurtful and disappointing in this department. maybe because i was actually counting on more when it comes to female involvement exceeding beyond all the subjectivity to men’s decisions that would be physically shown, not just mentioned, and for what...

the score was not god-tier, maybe even below the top-tier region but it still managed to enhance the experience. john david washington and aaron taylor johnson were the highlight as for their performance but also for being so hot and sexy and yes.

overall, ngl i was left underwhelmed. the movie was shot incredibly well, with visible precision and expertise, but there were flaws in the story and things that did not translate well on screen iN MY OPINION. however, it was still entertaining and you should see it for yourself. but remember to look from more than just one perspective as not everything may be what it seems at first sight.

nic liked these reviews