Batman

Batman ★★★★

A Batman Marathon.

I did a Superman Marathon back in April and last month I did a LOTR Marathon last month. So I decided why not do a marathon for the caped crusader.

Batman (1989).

"I'm Batman."

I feel like Tim Burton knew exactly what he wanted for this movie. It's still campy at times but it's definitely a lot more dark what Adam West had previously done. It feels very Gothic, which makes sense it is Gotham City. Michael Keaton has never given a bad performance and here it's no exception. Jack Nicholson plays the Joker very well for the most part. A gangster turned psychotic crime lord.

"Batman... Batman... Can somebody tell me what kind of a world we live in, where a man dressed up as a *bat* gets all of my press? This town needs an enema!"

Danny Elfman's score still sticks in my mind today. It may not be his best but damn it's not that bad.
The sets and costumes in this are top notch. It really does feel like the old-school comic-books on the big screen.
I was very surprised by how quotable this was. Pretty much every word out of the Nicholson's mouth was memorable.

Here's the thing though: nothing new has changed when I watched this again. I have a little bit more respect for it now in terms of film-making, but I'm not totally wowed by it. I've just had the same feeling watching this as I did watching it when I was younger. It's good. It's just not my favorite. It's a little cartoony at times even though the whole idea of this is obviously cartoony. The Joker's sidemen were way too over-the-top.
Kim Basinger looks good, but the more I think about it the more I come to realize that almost anyone could have played her.
I also felt like the Joker just felt like Jack Nicholson not giving a shit or just being himself. His laugh is fine, but not great.
By the time the big finally comes around, I actually begin to loos interest. I'm not sure why.
I'd also say that this doesn't age greatly. It's fine though. It's a movie.

RaNt: ONE MORE THING! Batman kills people in this movie. There's one scene where he's flying his jet and he literally begins shooting these bad guys off this float and another scene where he drops these explosives in the chemical plant with a bunch of the Joker's thugs inside. People complain that the Batman in BvS killed people. Yeah, so did this one. This isn't the first time either. Look back in the first issues of the Batman comics and you'll be amazed on what you'll find.
Just watch the ending of this!
Why are people complaining now?
Rant over.

Batman is a pure gem. It's a classic. It's a blockbuster that audiences eat up and so do I.
There's a few moments where the Joker kind of disappointed me but Jack Nicholson held his ground just as much as Michael Keaton. You can argue that Nicholson stole the show.
The action and aesthetics are the real highlights hear in this punch and kick superhero flick.

Haven't you ever heard of the healing power of laughter?

"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist."

8.5/10 (A-).