Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation ★★★

After seeing MI: Rouge Nation, I left the theater with an inexplicable feeling of dissatisfaction. I knew I had seen a well-made film but I couldn't shake off the feeling that something was missing.

Tom Cruise is still charismatic as ever and Simon Pegg does well as his comedic foil. But the real stand out is Rebecca Ferguson as Ilsa, whose restrained performance as a double agent shows both her strength and vulnerability.

The action scenes aren't revolutionary but there's an inventiveness to how the film manages to keep the goal simple, but the procedure complex. MI: Rouge Nation doesn't go stale either, consistently introducing twists and turns that keep you invested.

So what went wrong? The only answer I can come up with is that I simply did not have a strong attachment to the franchise. This was my first ever Mission Impossible movie. I had not seen what Ethan, Benji, Luther and William were up to before this movie, so I can't fully grasp the gravity of their situation in the fifth installment. MI: Rouge Nation is not the ideal entry point for the uninitiated.