Phantom Thread

Phantom Thread ★★★★★

From the opening shot, Phantom Thread locked me in for a 130 minute tale of one of the most dysfunctional romances ever put to film. The relationship between the incredibly regimented dressmaker, Reynolds Woodcock, and his muse Alma, was comfortably bizzare, yet so enthralling to watch unfold. The performances of both Daniel Day-Lewis and Vicky Krieps are absolutely outstanding, as they share an electric amount of chemistry throughout the entire runtime of the film. Both characters deliver a heavy sense of dread and desire to each scene, which make the experience delightfully polarizing. The unique story Paul Thomas Anderson tells is drawn together by gorgeous cinematography, and is accompanied by magnificent costume design and a haunting score. All of these elements left a lasting impression on me, and combined flawlessly, to craft something so elegant and beautiful.

Phantom Thread is truly one of the greatest films that I have ever witnessed, and I hope that it receives nominations for not only the phenomenal performances, but the incredible visuals and music as well.

A truly incredible experience.

Nikolas Hackett liked these reviews