Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) ★★★★★

My mother made it to the 1 hour and 6 minute mark before meekly asking if she could stop watching. Honestly I should have known that she was going to hate this, since my last couple recommendations (Boyhood and Mad Max Fury Road) ended in complete disaster for her.

But the thing that I personally love the most about Birdman is how Alejandro G. Iñarritu makes his film look and sound like a stage play. The unbroken take that the film is edited to look like gives us a sense of continuous action, never receiving a break to a different shot. Much like an actual stage play, we are forced to see the story from a fixed point of view that focuses on the characters. Along with this, Iñarritu makes his characters and their dialogue exchanges feel distinctly like a stage play. The melodrama that you can feel in the dialogue delivery and the frenetic pace at which the screenplay rushes out line after line gives me the literal impression that I'm watching a stage play. As an (I use this term very lightly) experienced stage actor, I can say that they way stage plays are forced to handle their dialogue is distinctly mirrored in this film's screenplay, and the moment I realized this was the moment I could not stop adoring Birdman. Antonio Sanchez's jazzy drum kit soundtrack kicks all kinds of ass as well, without a doubt one of the best scores of 2014. It perfectly complements the hectic crescendos and decresecendos that the pacing calls for. It's simply a perfect blend of creativity and commentary.

Wesley liked these reviews