Goodnight Mommy

Goodnight Mommy ★★★½

I'm not one to ever really notice obvious major plot twists in films. Maybe I just don't try to figure it all out before the end to maximize enjoyment, or maybe I just am too dense to notice what's going on. Either way, while I can say that the plot of Goodnight Mommy is far from original, its execution had me glued to the screen.

First, I must say that the two kids in this film were absolutely brilliant. They seemed so comfortable in their part, and flowed quite well with the oscillating intensity that went with the film's tone. I've never quite seen child actors like these two perform with such supposed mastery, and they completely made the film. Their own psychological innocence is put on full display in this film, and successfully helped the director accomplish what he was attempting to do with his audience.

Goodnight Mommy is a film that takes its main focus and turns it on its side. We become so distracted by one focal plot point, that when the film takes a complete 180 it seems that much more intense and drastic. It essentially toys with expectations and feelings for 100 minutes, before dropping an intensely unexpected finale. The buildup was fantastically done, and the film probably would have fallen flat on its face had it not been for this.

I'll admit that there are a lot of things in Goodnight Mommy that have been used and reused in many more well-known films. But never before have I seen them all come together so well, with such an intense and satisfying buildup. It contains a masterfully spun story, with a near flawless execution. It may not be perfect, but it will definitely stick with me a lot longer than many modern horror films ever will.

Block or Report