The Hunt

The Hunt

This is singlehandedly the most confusing release I've seen all year. After all the hype and controversy surrounding its shelving and eventual release onto the VOD platform, The Hunt has a lot to live up to with its pot-stirring politics that make no secret of how its creators really feel. It's an alt-right fantasy in a left-wing hell, or is it a left-wing fantasy in an alt-right hell? It's difficult to tell at times because the number of buzzwords used by both sides of the fence racked up a confusing political flowchart that just embedded itself in its own messages. It's ridiculously awful in its writing, yet hilariously entertaining in execution. This is one of those films that would have been lost amidst current-day controversies, never to be seen or heard from again, and I can't tell if that would have been the preferred result of this picture's ridiculous debacle.

Make no mistake: there is plenty of promised ultraviolence amidst this twisted politicized take on The Most Dangerous Game. Within the first minutes of its action unfolding, blood pastes its frames, and some of the worst editing I've ever borne witness to promises that you won't come out of this experience without at least a minor headache. Seriously, it almost tries to rival Michael Bay's insane editing techniques that he employed in The Last Knight (albeit without the frequent and unnecessary aspect ratio shifts). I don't believe that this would have benefitted anyone from being held back from being released, but what we got is such a polarizing and confusing experience; it blows my mind that Lindelof thought this was something okay to release in its finished form. It's absolutely horrible, ridiculously hilarious, some of the most fun you'll have if you watch it late one night with some friends, or an irritating migraine if you try to endure it alone. Proceed with extreme caution: you'll either love it or despise it for its unfiltered vulgarity.

Wesley liked this review