Avengers: Infinity War ★★★★★

After 10 years and 18 movies, Marvel Studios finally brings us the movie we've all been waiting for. But was the wait worth it? Absolutely. Avengers: Infinity War does the impossible and gives us the massive crossover that's we've been dying to see, as well as delivering the necessary stakes, and villain, to truly make this event the epic that it needed to be. The movie will be divisive for some, but for reasons that I don't think are entirely warranted.

The main thing about Infinity War that may stop people from fully enjoying it is that character development is to a minimum. The movie is essentially a two hour and 40 minute action sequence, so there's little time for us to stop and reflect. I understand why some would be frustrated by this, but I think it's a decision that has been completely earned. We've seen these characters change and go through so much already, so it's really interesting to then just see them be challenged by such a massive physical force after being divided in Civil War. There are still plenty of moments that build on characters, but we don't get to see the payoff. There's a lot of great character moments for everyone, but we won't get to see how they're truly affected or changed until the next movie. But saying that the movie is entirely devoid of character development still isn't exactly true. It just doesn't come from who you expect.

Avengers: Infinity War is 100% Thanos' movie. We're truly getting a movie that is almost entirely from the villain's perspective. In Thanos' eyes, the Avengers are the bad guys that need to be overcome and stopped. We get to fully see what it is that drives him, and it turns out that he kind of has the right idea. The problem that he's trying to fix legitimately is a problem. It's just the way that he wants to go about fixing said problem that pushes him into ultimate bad guy territory. To say that Thanos is one of Marvel's best villains would be a serious understatement. From the moment he appears on screen, he feels like a legitimate threat, and as the movie goes on, you really get to see how he ticks, and even almost begin to sympathize with him. And the way that he affects certain members of the Guardians is truly fantastic as well.

The movie is filled to the brim with shocking and chill inducing moments. Infinity War contains some of the MCU's greatest action sequences of all time, as well some of its most stunning story developments. You will leave the theater feeling just absolutely shell shocked. The movie does not go the way you expect it to, and it's brilliant. I loved Thanos' henchmen, and they felt just as threatening as their boss. This movie proves that the Masters of Evil need to show up ASAP, cuz the action is so much better when the Avengers have to go up against another team of powered people instead of a bunch of nameless goons. That's not to say that seeing nameless goons get wiped out isn't still incredible fun, because it is. The Battle of Wakanda proves this as a good portion of the Avengers take on an alien army.

I do wish that they had kept the movie titled as Infinity War Part 1, because this story is very clearly not over. Infinity War doesn't stand on its own, so it's weird to advertise it like it does. The ending of this movie is one of the most surprising endings I've ever seen in a movie and I'm DYING to see how the next one plays out. Any theories I had about Avenger 4's story have completely gone out the window. I have no idea what to expect and I love it. Avengers: Infinity War is one of the most surprising and action packed movies I've seen this year, and its one that everyone should try to see with the largest crowd possible. Bring on Part 2.

Cody Beckman liked this review