The Double Life of Véronique

The Double Life of Véronique ★★★★★

When it comes to visuals, eye-catching imagery, and the lush of colors displayed in this film, "The Double Life of Veronique" is on a whole other level. And if you have seen and enjoyed other films by Krzysztof Kieślowski then you will most likely know exactly what I mean. Even going in knowing the director's technical and visual style still left me blown away by what I just watched. This is what makes writing this review so hard, I enjoyed this film so much that it is hard to put into words on how great it is. I will say this though, "The Double Life of Veronique" is cinema for the soul.

It was relatively easy for me to be swept off my feet to something that felt mysterious, magical, and divine. Actress Irene Jacob amplifies that through her beauty and arguably best role ever (though she is also amazing in "Three Colors: Red"). After seeing her in those two films, it makes it is easy for me to see her as some sort of potential modern icon given her way of acting out her characters' emotions through minimal dialogue, calculative movement and subtle facial expressions. It is also worth mentioning that the music here plays a big role throughout this film. With the added bonus of it being beautifully melodic and emotionally powerful in of itself, it gives off a similar vibe to the music in "Three Colors: Blue". But the visual and narrative style is unique enough for "The Double Life of Veronique" to standout from the director's other masterfully crafted films. In terms of the plot, I believe the minimalist approach to unraveling the story ultimately allows this to have more emotional depth than some films that go for more complexity. To simplify its premise, this is basically just about two women sharing a close but otherworldly bond that cannot be easily explained. We don't get answers on why that is and in a way it's actually good that that's the case. It would detract from the spiritual mysteriousness that surrounds and encompasses this film and the two characters.

Overall "The Double Life of Veronique" and its poetic nature makes this an essential viewing in my book. I definitely came out as a different person after seeing it for the first time and maybe you will too.

Block or Report