Once Upon a Time in Hollywood ★★½

Tarantino's last great movie was a decade ago and since then we were treated to things only somewhat rescued by his actors. I maintain once DiCaprio and Waltz both exit Django Unchained, it is unwatchable. Now he delivered his first truly shapeless mess with atrocious pacing and editing. At one point Tarantino has wonderfully charismatic Timothy Olyphant in a scene and it's almost unbearable because it is so damn boring.

Brad Pitt is the only person who makes this discombobulated mess watchable. Not only that, he elevates it several levels with his charming and funny performance that feels natural unlike Leo "look how hard I am trying!" DiCaprio (but to give him the credit where the credit is due, he has several hilarious moments). Without Pitt that movie would be 2 out of 10. The last 30 minutes is good but I doubt most people will manage to get there because of how horribly boring this movie is up until then.

It's cute how they put Margot Robbie on a poster, when she exists solely for Tarantino to film her feet. Well Margot, you knew what you signed up for. Just be glad the brakes were working in multiple driving scenes you were in. Yeah, Tarantino used to have strong heroines in his movies. 10 fucking years ago. This one has about 15 shots of bare female feet, a thinly veiled reference to Natalie Wood's murder which is played for laughs and astonishing brutality aimed at women in the finale for the second time in a row in his filmography. Oh, I'm sorry, am I supposed to be giving someone who said that wasn't really a rape what Polanski did a benefit of a doubt? I don't think so.

Get off your knees, stop praising whatever this guy does and stop comparing this mess to Jackie Brown. And just give Brad his Oscar now, please and thank you. At least one good thing will come out of this mess then.